Adventurous

Adventurous

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Let's talk about Discipline...Can you cut it?

I started with this one simple task ;)

Lets talk about discipline.

What exactly is discipline?  Instead of thinking of discipline as a bunch of things you can’t do or have to do….lets think of discipline as a method of allowing you to do everything you want to do.

If you are disciplined enough to run your errands and do your housework during the week, it frees you up to completely enjoy your weekend.  (SUPER PLUS)

Want to a buy a house?       Disciplinary Action: SAVE MONEY.  This action frees you from paying into something you will never own.
Want to be a better writer?  Disciplinary Action: WRITE EVERYDAY.  Gives you endless job opportunities and may even open up another possible income stream.

There were a few different definitions for the word discipline but this one lines up with the train of thought for this blog entry.

Discipline:
Activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill; training:
We want to improve our habits or train ourselves to have good habits.

If you lack discipline here is a tip I learned a few years back.  I use it and it has evolved areas of my life.

Tip:

If there is a particular area or thing you lack discipline in pick one thing and do it everyday as if your life depended on it.

I was the type of person that never made up their bed in the morning.  I always made up my bed after I came home from work so initially, my "One" thing was making sure I made up my bed every morning.  I did that "One" thing even if I was running late or other areas of my home were out of order.  Sometimes we say to ourselves, "everything else needs cleaning, why stop to do this One thing?"  I will tell you why.  Because we are training ourselves to have good habits.  Rome wasn't built in a day nor will building all good habits be done in a day but it does take commitment.  I continued to do this and guess what happened?  It became a habit!  By habit, I don’t mean I’m perfect in that area, but I no longer feel right leaving out of the house without making up my bed.  It's a HABIT.  

Years ago I developed a habit of always wearing a fragrance and earrings whenever I left the house.  Now it's to the point where it doesn’t matter if I am rushing, I always spritz and throw a pair in my purse.

If you want discipline, make sure you utilize this small tip.  Start off with one thing and be sure to do it every single day.  EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.  Once that thing becomes a habit, move onto the next thing.

Now if only I could make washing the dishes every night a habit….Grrrrrrr.


No comments:

Post a Comment